- 4 cups thinly sliced celery
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced pimientos
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large skillet, saute celery in 4 tablespoons butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove celery with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Stir flour and salt into skillet until smooth. Gradually add milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, green pepper, pimientos and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted. Return celery to pan; stir to coat.
- Pour into a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the celery mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Scalloped Celery
Sort By :
I had to find a celery recipe to use for this week's Ingredient challenge! I found this recipe and purposely have adjusted it to fit my personal needs! Here goes: 4 cups finely sliced/diced celery, 4 Tbsp. butter, 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour,1/2 tsp. salt,1/4 tsp. ground pepper,1 medium onion, finely diced,1 cup finely chopped carrots, 2 cooked chicken thighs, skin removed and meat deboned and cut into chunks, 1 cup whole milk, 1 red pepper, finely diced, 1 cup shredded Mac & Cheese blend (In the dairy aisle of my Giant supermarket), 1/4 to 1/2 cup Progresso Italian bread crumbs. In large saucepan, I combined the celery, carrots and onion and added JUST enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until tender. Drain off water.In a medium saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Stir until bubbly. Add milk gradually and stir JUST until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir into celery mixture and toss well to coat. Add the chopped pepper and chicken chunks. Stir well to blend. Turn into greased 1-3/4 quart casserole. I sprinkled with shredded cheese, then topped with bread crumbs. I baked at 350o F. for 30 minutes or until top is golden and bubbly. I omitted the mushrooms as I didn't have them on hand! I think this casserole came out quite nicely! The cooked chicken adds a nice touch, along with the other veggies! delowenstein
This recipe was well received by my family and guests. I served it as side dish with roasted chickens. My son-in-law says he thought it was extra-fancy dressing.