After my mother passed away, I found this recipe of hers. It's a crowd-pleasing side dish with a comforting sauce and a pretty, golden crumb topping.Cheryl Holland, Ortonville, Michigan
50 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 quarts milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 pounds carrots, diced and cooked
- 2-1/2 pounds shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir butter and flour until
- smooth and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and lemon
- juice; cook and stir until thickened. Add celery salt, salt and
- pepper; mix well. Remove from the heat. In four greased 2-1/2-qt.
- baking dishes, layer half of the carrots, sauce, cheese and
- crackers. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50
- minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 50
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 270 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.