Scalloped Carrots Recipe
After my mother passed away, I found this recipe of hers. It's a crowd-pleasing side dish with a comforting sauce and a pretty, golden crumb topping.—Cheryl Holland, Ortonville, Michigan
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 quarts milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 pounds carrots, diced and cooked
- 2-1/2 pounds shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir butter and flour until smooth and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and lemon juice; cook and stir until thickened. Add celery salt, salt and pepper; mix well. Remove from heat.
- 2. In four greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dishes, layer half the carrots, sauce, cheese and crackers. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 50 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 270 calories, 18 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 46 mg cholesterol, 452 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC