After my mother passed away, I found this recipe of hers. It's a crowd-pleasing side dish with a comforting sauce and a pretty, golden crumb topping.—Cheryl Holland, Ortonville, Michigan
Recommended: Top 10 Easter Dinner Ideas
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 quarts milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 pounds carrots, diced and cooked
- 2-1/2 pounds shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir butter and flour until smooth and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and lemon juice; cook and stir until thickened. Add celery salt, salt and pepper; mix well. Remove from heat.
- In four greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dishes, layer half the carrots, sauce, cheese and crackers. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 50 servings.
Originally published as Scalloped Carrots in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p54
Reviews for Scalloped Carrots
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2011
"I was attracted to this recipe because it came from her mom and I love carrots. I made this for a potluck at work and got rave reviews. Just make sure you put it in a big enough dish (I didn't) or it will bubble and run over."