Scalloped Carrots Casserole Recipe
A cookbook my husband gave me as a wedding gift included this recipe-he remembers having the dish as a child at church dinners. Now I make it whenever I need a special vegetable side. It's rich and cheesy even after reheating.
- 12 medium carrots, sliced 1/4 inch thick (about 4 cups)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 slices whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain.
- 2. In another saucepan, saute onion in 1/4 cup butter. Stir in flour, salt, mustard, celery salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. In a greased 11x7-in. baking dish, layer half of the carrots, cheese and white sauce. Repeat layers. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread cubes. Sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving equals 430 calories, 29 g fat (19 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 973 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 15 g protein.
Reviews for Scalloped Carrots Casserole
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC