Scalloped Carrots Recipe
After my mother passed away, I found this recipe of hers. It's a crowd-pleasing side dish with a comforting sauce and a pretty, golden crumb topping.Cheryl Holland, Ortonville, Michigan
- 1-1/2 cups butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3 quarts milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 4 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 6 pounds carrots, diced and cooked
- 2-1/2 pounds shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 cups crushed butter-flavored crackers
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir butter and flour until smooth and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Gradually add milk and lemon juice; cook and stir until thickened. Add celery salt, salt and pepper; mix well. Remove from the heat. In four greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dishes, layer half of the carrots, sauce, cheese and crackers. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Serve immediately. Yield: 50 servings.
Originally published as Scalloped Carrots in Taste of Home December/January 1996, p54
Reviews for Scalloped Carrots(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 26, 2011
I was attracted to this recipe because it came from her mom and I love carrots. I made this for a potluck at work and got rave reviews. Just make sure you put it in a big enough dish (I didn't) or it will bubble and run over.