Scalloped Cabbage Recipe
My mother always made this dish as a special treat, and now I do, too. The combination of ingredients is just right—the white sauce and cheese complement the flavor of the cabbage so well that even people who don't care for cabbage like it!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Place cabbage in a greased 2-qt. casserole; set aside. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook until bubbly. gradually stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened. Fold in cheese. Pour over cabbage. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 278 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 312 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC