My mother always made this dish as a special treat, and now I do, too. The combination of ingredients is just right—the white sauce and cheese complement the flavor of the cabbage so well that even people who don't care for cabbage like it!
4-6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place cabbage in a greased 2-qt. casserole; set aside. In a saucepan,
- heat oil over medium. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook until
- bubbly. gradually stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened. Fold
- in cheese. Pour over cabbage. Combine bread crumbs and butter;
- sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or
- until bubbly. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 278 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 312 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein.