- 1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place cabbage in a greased 2-qt. casserole; set aside. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook until bubbly. gradually stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened. Fold in cheese. Pour over cabbage. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Scalloped Cabbage
"I did not cook the cabbage prior to baking and it turned out fine. I covered mine ( raw cabbage and sauce) with foil and baked for a half hour, then uncovered it baked 20 more minutes, added bread crumbs/butter and baked until the crumbs started to turn golden (10 mins). total cooking time in oven=1 hour. It was delicious. 3 stars for not getting cooking directions right."
"I wish people would edit the recipes after the reviews start coming in. It does NOT say to precook the cabbage. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon. Have to rate it with stars but I haven't tried it yet, so will give 3 because that important step is left out."
"My husband is not a lover of cabbage and I thought this might be a way to get him to eat it. I followed the recipe to the letter and never gave it a thought that the cabbage should be pre-cooked. The casserole ended up in the garbage and my ego went in there with it!! From now on, I guess I'll just have to eat my cabbage by myself."
"I committed the cardinal sin of cooking 101 here. I did NOT read the recipe all the way through first which you should ALWAYS do. If I had I would have realized something was wrong. But I just scanned it quickly, made sure I had everything and sure enough...I didn't understand that the cabbage had to be cooked either. I got it all washed and chopped and in my dish and then realized there was no way the cabbage would get done baking for 30 minutes. So I had to take it all out and get it in a pan and saute it and start over. I do not like recipes that don't have absolutely every step laid out. This one could at least call for 4 cups of cooked cabbage in the ingredients."
"The recipe neglected to say the cabbage needs to be precooked. If I had done that it would have been great. Will do next time."