- 1/2 medium head cabbage, chopped (about 4 cups)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Place cabbage in a greased 2-qt. casserole; set aside. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook until bubbly. gradually stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened. Fold in cheese. Pour over cabbage. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Scalloped Cabbage
"I did not cook the cabbage prior to baking and it turned out fine. I covered mine ( raw cabbage and sauce) with foil and baked for a half hour, then uncovered it baked 20 more minutes, added bread crumbs/butter and baked until the crumbs started to turn golden (10 mins). total cooking time in oven=1 hour. It was delicious. 3 stars for not getting cooking directions right."
"I wish people would edit the recipes after the reviews start coming in. It does NOT say to precook the cabbage. I haven't tried it yet, but will soon. Have to rate it with stars but I haven't tried it yet, so will give 3 because that important step is left out."
"My husband is not a lover of cabbage and I thought this might be a way to get him to eat it. I followed the recipe to the letter and never gave it a thought that the cabbage should be pre-cooked. The casserole ended up in the garbage and my ego went in there with it!! From now on, I guess I'll just have to eat my cabbage by myself."
"I committed the cardinal sin of cooking 101 here. I did NOT read the recipe all the way through first which you should ALWAYS do. If I had I would have realized something was wrong. But I just scanned it quickly, made sure I had everything and sure enough...I didn't understand that the cabbage had to be cooked either. I got it all washed and chopped and in my dish and then realized there was no way the cabbage would get done baking for 30 minutes. So I had to take it all out and get it in a pan and saute it and start over. I do not like recipes that don't have absolutely every step laid out. This one could at least call for 4 cups of cooked cabbage in the ingredients."
"The recipe neglected to say the cabbage needs to be precooked. If I had done that it would have been great. Will do next time."
"This recipe was delicious, took it to church and came home with an empty dish!"
"Great recipe!!! Just you make sure you blend the cheese in well."
"We always had this when I was young too.Always a favorite, even my kids would eat cabbage this way."