Scalloped Basil Tomatoes Recipe
If your garden is flooded with tomatoes, be sure to try this scrumptious baked side dish from Edna Apostol of Savannah, Missouri, "It goes over big at family, church and club dinners," she assures. Cubes of French bread are combined with mildly seasoned tomatoes, then sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and bakes.
- 16 plum tomatoes
- 2 cups cubed crustless French bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. Peel tomatoes and cut into 1/2-in. cubes; drain. In a large nonstick skillet, cook bread in oil over medium heat for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Add the tomatoes, sugar and garlic; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Stir in the salt, pepper and basil.
- 2. Pour into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup: 103 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 325mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Reviews for Scalloped Basil Tomatoes
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC