Scallop Mac & Cheese Recipe
- 2 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup French bread baguette crumbs
- 1 pound bay scallops
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons sherry or chicken broth
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add bread crumbs; cook and stir until lightly toasted.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add scallops; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until firm and opaque. Remove and keep warm. Melt remaining butter in the pan; add mushrooms and onion. Cook and stir until tender. Stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add the milk, wine and sherry. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted. Drain pasta; stir pasta and scallops into sauce.
- Divide among five 10-oz. ramekins or custard cups. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until heated through. Spoon onto plates if desired. Yield: 5 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Scallop Mac & Cheese(14)
Sort By :
This was fantastic! This is the kind of Mac & Cheese you would find in a fine dining restaurant! :)
I used panko bread crumbs instead & baked it in one large baking dish instead of individual ramekins. Next time I would cut the scallops in 1/2 so there is more throughout the whole dish. Next time I'm thinking about using shrimp instead. Maybe either popcorn size or large shrimp chopped up.
Will make again & again! Great way to impress company!
the flavor of this dish is excellent. elegant almost. i also reheats well
Just mad this to take to the beach. Put 4 in the freezer so wish me luck on freezing. My husband ate the 5th one and raved. I used shrimp instead of scallops, low fat cheddar and reg swiss, one cup skim milk and 1 cup half and half because I didn't have whole milk. Next time I'll use less butter to toast the bread crumbs but this recipe is to die for and will go in my recipe box as a special occasion meal.
I think it just needed a little more flavor. Its a little elaborate but nothing too crazy. My boyfriend loved it though!
One more comment: My hubby loved this and he's definitely more a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy. Oh!!! And one more thing with my "makeover" suggestions...how about a little reduced-fat cream cheese? I'd start with 4 ounces and see what happens. Blessed cooking, everyone?
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Macaroni and Cheese >
- Baked Pasta >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Pasta & Sauces >