- 1 recipe Sourdough Starter (recipe also in Recipe Finder)
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl, combine the Sourdough Starter, milk powder, butter, sugar, salt, water and 2 cups flour. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide in half. Shape each into a round loaf. Heavily grease two baking sheets and sprinkle with cornmeal. Place loaves on prepared pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, make three diagonal slashes across tops of loaves.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Brush loaves with cold water. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Originally published as Savory Yeast Bread in Taste of Home Baking Book 2011, p347
Reviews for Savory Yeast Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review