Savory Winter Soup
Even my father, who doesn't particularly like soup, enjoys my full-flavored version of traditional vegetable soup. He asked me to share the recipe with Mom, and I gladly obliged! - Dana Simmons, Lancaster, Ohio
14 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup each diced carrots and celery
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until the
- meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 8 hours or until heated through. Yield:
- 14 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
To save chopping time, use frozen sliced carrots and cubed hash brown potatoes in Savory Winter Soup.