Savory Wild Rice Casserole
Seasoned with sage and tasty pork sausage, this filling rice casserole is a hearty accompaniment to roast turkey, chicken or duck. I especially like the crunch that the sliced water chestnuts add.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 1 hour Bake: 45 min.
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a saucepan, combine water, rice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage and onion until meat is no
- longer pink; drain. Add broth, soup, mushrooms, water chestnuts,
- sage and rice. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake,
- uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 212 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 724 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.