- 3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- In a saucepan, combine water, rice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 55-60 minutes or until rice is tender. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook sausage and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add broth, soup, mushrooms, water chestnuts, sage and rice. Transfer to a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Savory Wild Rice Casserole in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1999, p25
Reviews for Savory Wild Rice Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 9, 2014
"Very tasty! I halve the recipe for just my husband and me, leaving out the sage. I think this works just as well for a main dish or a side."
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2010
"This was very good. A nice hearty meal. Made exactly as wrote."