- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 8-1/2 teaspoons honey, divided
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in 2 teaspoons honey; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the whole wheat flour, milk, 2 tablespoons butter, egg, salt, remaining honey and 1 cup all-purpose flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Knead on a floured surface for 30 seconds. Roll into a 12-in. circle. Melt remaining butter; brush over dough. Combine Parmesan cheese and garlic salt; sprinkle over dough.
- Cut into 16 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end and place with pointed end down on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 16 rolls.
Originally published as Savory Wheat Crescents in Best of Country Breads 2000, p67
Reviews for Savory Wheat Crescents
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review