Savory Wheat and Grain Dressing Recipe
This dressing is a very aromatic side dish. It is great for the holidays either stuffed in a turkey or served on the side. —Peggy Fleming
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 3/4 cup sliced green onions
- 3/4 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons sherry
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute the onions, celery, apricots and raisins in sherry and butter for 2 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Stir in the rice, bulgur and barley; saute for 3 minutes. Add the broth, poultry seasoning, savory and salt. Bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in parsley. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 277 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 667 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC