Savory Vegetable Beef Stew Recipe
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 small potatoes, quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in salad dressing over medium heat. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Add the potatoes, carrots, green pepper and onion. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 308 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 71 mg cholesterol, 824 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.