I've been cooking since I was 10 years old. One day, I plan to own a bed-and-breakfast inn. I look forward to the challenge of cooking for my future guests.
- 3 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 small potatoes, quartered
- 6 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in salad dressing over medium heat. Add the next 10 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, green pepper and onion. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Combine flour and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Savory Vegetable Beef Stew in Country Extra September 2001, p51
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Savory Vegetable Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review