I developed this recipe as a way to use my homegrown vegetables. My teaching responsibilities keep me busy, but I love cooking for my husband and daughter most of all. —Leslie Luthe, Parkersburg, Illinois
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups water
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 4 cups tomato juice
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, carrots, onion, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until tender. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes longer or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 10-12 servings (2-3/4 quarts).
Originally published as Savory Vegetable Beef Soup in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p135
Reviews for Savory Vegetable Beef Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review