Savory Turkey Potpies Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cubed cooked turkey breast
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen peas and carrots
- 2 medium red potatoes, cooked and cubed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- Additional fresh parsley or thyme leaves, optional
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender. In a small bowl, whisk flour and stock until smooth; gradually stir into Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Add turkey, peas and carrots, potatoes, parsley, thyme and pepper; stir gently.
- 2. Preheat oven to 425°. Divide turkey mixture among eight 10-oz. ramekins. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Cut out eight 3-in. circles. Gently press parsley into pastry if desired. Place over turkey mixture. Beat egg and water; brush over tops. Sprinkle with salt.
- 3. Place ramekins on a baking sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes or until crusts are golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 potpie equals 279 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 77 mg cholesterol, 495 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 22 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat.