I describe this dish as a quiche without cheese. It's great for luncheons, brunches or breakfasts. Don't skimp of the basil—it makes the pie!—Helen Marucci, Fergus, Ontario
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, cook and stir over low heat until softened. Remove from the heat; cool.
- Line unbaked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Reduce heat to 350°.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, cream, salt, basil and pepper until smooth. Stir in the tomato mixture. Pour into pastry shell. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Savory Tomato Pie in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p193
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Savory Tomato Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review