Savory Tomato-Braised Tilapia Recipe
- 4 tilapia fillets (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Hot cooked pasta, optional
- 1. Sprinkle fillets with seasoned salt; drizzle with lemon juice. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add tomatoes, peppers, broth, tomato paste, garlic powder and oregano; cook and stir 2-3 minutes longer.
- 2. Place fillets over tomato mixture; cook, covered, 6-8 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. If desired, serve with pasta. Yield: 4 servings.
1 fillet with 1/2 cup sauce (calculated without pasta) equals 254 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 740 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 34 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable.
Reviews for Savory Tomato-Braised Tilapia
"This was absolutely amazing!! I used a shortcut and made it with medium heat salsa as opposed to the individual veggie ingredients (onion, diced tomato w/green chilies and red pepper) and it turned out wonderful! SO moist and tender, incredible flavor. Easily one of THE BEST fish dishes I've ever had, especially for tilapia! Thank you so much for the recipe!"
"Thank you for sharing this recipe! We really enjoyed it and I loved how fast, easy, and flavorful it was. We had it over sauteed veggies and ate it up."
"Absolutely loved this! Easy recipe and loaded with flavor! I served with a side of couscous. I actually replaced the roasted red peppers with diced sweet yellow pepper...added when I was cooking the onion."
"Good flavor. I think the seasoned salt was the key here."
"This was fast and easy to make and had great flavor! We already had all the ingredients on hand. This recipe is a keeper."
"I made a version of this with mahi mahi and home grown tomatoes. Served it with egg noodles"
"This was delicious! We had it with angel hair pasta and the whole dish came together in no time at all, even though I had to roast the red pepper myself because I didn't have any jarred ones on hand. We will definitely be making this again!"
"very flavorful and easy to make"
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.