Savory Tomato Beef Soup
Meet the Cook: This soup's one my mother taught me to make. It's good all year but especially when the weather's cold. In winter, I serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches. It would also be a nice lunch with a side salad or homemade corn bread. Even our grandchildren - we have four - like it. It's a good way of getting them to eat their vegetables. My husband and I have two grown daughters.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small meaty beef soup bone (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown the stew meat and soup bone in
- oil. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and simmer for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat.
- Remove meat from bone; cut into 1/2-in. cubes. Return to soup; heat
- through. Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 142 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 1,057 mg sodium,