Savory Tomato Beef Soup Recipe
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 small meaty beef soup bone (beef shanks or short ribs)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, brown the stew meat and soup bone in oil. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 4-5 hours or until meat is tender. Skim fat. Remove meat from bone; cut into 1/2-in. cubes. Return to soup; heat through. Yield: 6-8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 142 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 1,057 mg sodium, 7 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Reviews for Savory Tomato Beef Soup
"I put everything in the slow cooker after browning the meat. I did throw in more soup bones than called for, but otherwise followed the recipe. Pretty good."