- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1 egg
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large green peppers
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1/2 cup juice (discarding remaining juice or save for another use). Set the juice and pineapple aside. In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, garlic, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 40 meatballs.
- In a nonstick skillet, brown meatballs in oil; drain. Cut green peppers into chunks. Add broth, peppers and reserved pineapple to meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in the vinegar, soy sauce and reserved pineapple juice until smooth. Add to meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Savory Sweet-and-Sour Meatballs
Sort By :
"This is our favorite recipe.. Been making this for years. I add sliced onions to make it even yummier."
"Our family loved this. I used one red pepper and one green pepper for color. We will definitely make it again."
"I loved this dish! The sauce was so delicious. I can't wait to try a variation with chicken, although the meatballs were very flavorful."
"this is a Great one to make and mt boys request it all the time!"