Savory Surprise Buns Recipe
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon quick-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 package (6-1/2 ounces) garlic-herb spreadable cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat water and oil to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a floured surface; divide into four portions. Roll each portion into a 9-in. x 6-in. rectangle. Cut into 3-in. squares.
- Place 2 teaspoons spreadable cheese in center of each square. Moisten corners with water; bring over center of filling and pinch corners tightly in center. Place seam side down on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Brush tops with butter. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Savory Surprise Buns in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2011, p32
Reviews for Savory Surprise Buns
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review