Savory Stuffed Pumpkin Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large pumpkin (8 to 9 pounds)
- Canola oil
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the soup, mushrooms, soy sauce and brown sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rice and water chestnuts.
- 2. Wash pumpkin; cut a 6-in. circle around stem. Remove top and set aside. Discard seeds and loose fibers from the inside. Spoon beef mixture into pumpkin; replace top.
- 3. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Rub oil over outside of pumpkin. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until pumpkin is tender. Scoop out some pumpkin with each serving of beef mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 435 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 982 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.