Savory Stuffed Pumpkin Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 large pumpkin (8 to 9 pounds)
- Canola oil
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the soup, mushrooms, soy sauce and brown sugar. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the rice and water chestnuts.
- 2. Wash pumpkin; cut a 6-in. circle around stem. Remove top and set aside. Discard seeds and loose fibers from the inside. Spoon beef mixture into pumpkin; replace top.
- 3. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Rub oil over outside of pumpkin. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/2 hours or until pumpkin is tender. Scoop out some pumpkin with each serving of beef mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 435 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 982mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 28g protein
Reviews for Savory Stuffed Pumpkin
"I've been making this for years. Great for potlucks! I have two suggestions. One is that I always have used ground turkey instead of ground beef since turkey & pumpkin just seem to go better together. The other is to err on the side of under cooking the pumpkin especially if it isn't being eaten immediately. The filling seems to continue to cook the pumpkin, softening the sides and causing it to slouch."
"This Stuffed Pumpkin was a big hit!"
"We thought this was fantastic! I didn't use the water chestnuts, and used quite a bit less ground beef than called for (probably about half the amount). We enjoyed this very much and will definitely be making this recipe again."
"The stuffing recipe is almost exactly what my mom calls "chinese casserole." I like water chestnuts, but I did not appreciate them in this recipe. The responses I got were, "it's fine" "it's good." I thought it was just ok."
"I have been making this for years. I found it in a halloween issue about 10 years ago and my family cant wait for pumpkin season. I always double the stuffing though just to be sure to fill the pumpkin."
"I made this for our halloween party this year a bit leery of baking a pumpkin like this. What a surprise, all was eaten and several guests requested the recipe! I had a 9 lb. pumpkin and one recipe did not fill it so I would suggest making a double batch for a pumpkin that large and for leftovers. I was disappointed that I didn't have any leftovers!!"
"WoW! This dish was a little more work than I usually put into a meal but it was so worth it! My family really enjoyed it. I bought a lopsided pumpkin and put too much oil on it so the lid kept sliding off in the oven but I was able to easily fix this by sliding a toothpick from the top into the sides so than it would hold. I definitely would make this again and we also want to make this dish a halloween tradition!"
"Easy To Perpare & The Family Loved It ! I Highly Recommend !"