- 6 medium green peppers
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound ground pork, cooked and drained
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil, oregano, thyme, Italian seasoning and parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- Cut tops off peppers and remove seeds. In a large kettle, cook peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; invert on paper towels.
- In a bowl, combine meat, oats, onion, mushrooms, egg, salsa and seasonings. Spoon into peppers. Place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon tomato sauce over peppers. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now