Savory String Beans
I LOVE making this dish when I can pick the beans right out of the garden and put them into the pot. The fresh taste is unbeatable.
I've also made it with beans purchased at the store. Either way, you'll find this recipe a winner. There's no need for any extra seasonings at the table.
-Ina Reed, Kingman, Arizona
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cut green beans (1-1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and set
- aside. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Add beans, water,
- onion and seasonings to drippings; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered,
- for 15-20 minutes or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir
- in bacon. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 179 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 458 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein.