Savory Steak Salad Recipe
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 beef top sirloin steak (1 inch thick and 1 pound)
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette, divided
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, cayenne and pepper. Rub over both sides of steak. Brush with 1/4 cup vinaigrette.
- 2. Place steak on a broiler pan. Broil 4 in. from heat 5-6 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°).
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in butter for 10 minutes or until tender. Add remaining brown sugar; cook and stir over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until onion is browned.
- 4. Cut steak across the grain into thin slices. In a large bowl, combine greens, cranberries, blue cheese, onion and beef. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette; toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1-1/2 cups) equals 407 calories, 21 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 1,200 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.