Savory Spinach Pie
Even those who aren't morning people will break into smiles when they taste this super spinach pie. Serves with cinnamon rolls and fresh fruit, it will surely get your day off to a sunny start!
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter. Remove from the heat; stir
- in spinach, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream, cheese and eggs.
- Stir in spinach mixture. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 327 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 144 mg cholesterol, 542 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein.