- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter. Remove from the heat; stir in spinach, salt and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, combine the cottage cheese, cream, cheese and eggs. Stir in spinach mixture. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Savory Spinach Pie
Sort By :
"Very bland and really needs some punch. Nutmeg seems out of place. There are many others out there that can satisfy."
"I am rarely disappointed by a TOH recipe. This was very bland. I wish I had followed my instincts and added bacon."
"The nutmeg was an odd taste for me so next time I would omit it and use garlic in place."
"Very, very good! The fact that my picky husband ate 3 slices pretty much answered my question, "Do you like it?" I did only use an 1/8 tsp of the nutmeg, because I wasn't sure I'd like the taste, but I'll use 1/4 tsp next time (and there will be a next time!). I had canadian bacon to use up, so I finely dices about 3 ounces. It wasn't a lot of meat, but just enough. Next time I'll maybe try bacon or ham or whatever I have, but not too much to take away from the wonderful spinach and cheese flavor. I'm glad I found this in one of my oldest TOH cookbooks!"