Savory Spinach Chicken Roll-Ups Recipe
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil and dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, place spinach in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or just until wilted. When cool enough to handle, squeeze spinach dry and finely chop.
- 2. In a nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the egg, cheese, bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon rosemary and salt until well blended.
- 3. Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine the basil, thyme, pepper and remaining rosemary; rub over one side of chicken. Spread spinach mixture over plain side; roll up. Secure with toothpicks.
- 4. In a large saucepan, place roll-ups in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving (1 roll-up) equals 235 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 127 mg cholesterol, 456 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.