The herb-flavored chicken stays tender and moist in this entree developed by our Test Kitchen.
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil and dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, place spinach in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or just until wilted. When cool enough to handle, squeeze spinach dry and finely chop.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the egg, cheese, bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon rosemary and salt until well blended.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine the basil, thyme, pepper and remaining rosemary; rub over one side of chicken. Spread spinach mixture over plain side; roll up. Secure with toothpicks.
- In a large saucepan, place roll-ups in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Savory Spinach Chicken Roll-Ups in Light & Tasty June/July 2001, p51
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Savory Spinach Chicken Roll-Ups
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2011
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2011
"Delicious and very filling!"
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2009
"Yummy! Used Oregano instead of Rosemary because I didn't have r/m on hand. Try r/m next time."