- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil and dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, place spinach in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 2-3 minutes or just until wilted. When cool enough to handle, squeeze spinach dry and finely chop.
- In a nonstick skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the egg, cheese, bread crumbs, 1/4 teaspoon rosemary and salt until well blended.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. Combine the basil, thyme, pepper and remaining rosemary; rub over one side of chicken. Spread spinach mixture over plain side; roll up. Secure with toothpicks.
- In a large saucepan, place roll-ups in a steamer basket over 1 in. of boiling water. Cover and steam for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Savory Spinach Chicken Roll-Ups in Light & Tasty June/July 2001, p51
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Savory Spinach Chicken Roll-Ups
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jul. 13, 2011
Reviewed Jan. 1, 2011
Delicious and very filling!
Reviewed Apr. 11, 2009
Yummy! Used Oregano instead of Rosemary because I didn't have r/m on hand. Try r/m next time.