Savory Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Fresh oregano, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook ground beef and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaf. Serve with spaghetti. Garnish with oregano if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings (about 1 quart).
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Savory Spaghetti Sauce(31)
Sort By :
Excellent! Didn't change a thing and it was perfect! Even better the 2nd day so try to double the batch.
I've been making this meat sauce ever since it appeared in the TOH in '94. My family really enjoys the flavors of the meat sauce. We love to dip the garlic bread in the sauce.
Its a great sauce! I'll definatly make it again but double the batch. I made it adding 1/3 cup of sugar as suggested but will probably only add 1/4 cup next time.
Great basic recipe, I do like my spaghetti savory. However it seemed to be lacking, as we like our spaghetti bold and chunky. So I added extra garlic, a bell pepper, and a sprinkle of Montreal, and sautéed those with the beef. Then I threw in a freshly diced tomato, some chopped portobello mushroom, a few olives, and a 1/4 cup of dry white wine. It really jazzed up the dish, and it tastes wonderful.
My husband said it was the best spaghetti he's ever had! Wasn't sure whether to be excited or mad! Haha! Definitely a keeper, wouldn't change a thing!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >