- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Fresh oregano, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook ground beef and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaf. Serve with spaghetti. Garnish with oregano if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings (about 1 quart).
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Savory Spaghetti Sauce
Sort By :
"Good and very easy"
"Loved the simplicity of this recipe! It's really flavorful, but also really easy to prepare."
"This is a very good spaghetti sauce recipe. I went a little heavier, however, with the spices to add some additional flavor. I couldn't find fresh oregano at my grocery store so I opted for fresh basil. The recipe calls for just a teaspoon of fresh basil, however, I added approximately 3/4 of a cup. I like my sauces extra sweet, so I added 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, rather than the 2 teaspoons of sugar called for in the recipe. All in all, it was a spicy, delicious sauce that was enjoyed by the whole family."
"Excellent! Didn't change a thing and it was perfect! Even better the 2nd day so try to double the batch."