This fresh-tasting spaghetti sauce is a real crowd-pleaser. I rely on this flavorful recipe often. It tastes especially good in the summer made with fresh garden herbs. —Anne Heinonen, Howell, Michigan
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- Fresh oregano, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook ground beef and onion until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender; drain. Add the next eight ingredients; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the bay leaf. Serve with spaghetti. Garnish with oregano if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings (about 1 quart).
Originally published as Savory Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home June/July 1994, p31
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Savory Spaghetti Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review