I used to make the same old dressing every year for Thanksgiving. About 10 years ago, I decided to jazz up my recipe by adding pork sausage. Now everyone requests it for all our holiday meals. —Ursula Hernandez, Waltham, Minnesota
Featured In: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound sage pork sausage
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (13 ounces) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 17 cups)
- 4 cups cubed multigrain bread (1/2 inch)
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery and onions; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sausage. Add bread cubes and sage; toss to combine. Add chicken stock and wine. Stir in cranberries and, if desired, sunflower kernels. Transfer to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours or until heated through, stirring once. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Savory Sausage Dressing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p110
Reviews forSavory Sausage Stuffing
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 24, 2016
"Made this for Thanksgiving this year and we all loved it! Great flavors, the only thing I added was a handful of black olives. Yum!"