I used to make the same old dressing every year for Thanksgiving. About 10 years ago, I decided to jazz up my recipe by adding pork sausage. Now everyone requests it for all our holiday meals. —Ursula Hernandez, Waltham, Minnesota
Featured In: 25 Stuffing Recipes for Thanksgiving
- 1 pound sage Jones Dairy Farm All Natural Pork Sausage Roll
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, finely chopped
- 6 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 loaf (13 ounces) French bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 17 cups)
- 4 cups cubed multigrain bread (1/2 inch)
- 1 tablespoon rubbed sage
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sunflower kernels, optional
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat 4-6 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking into crumbles; drain. In a stockpot, melt butter over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery and onions; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat.
- Stir in sausage. Add bread cubes and sage; toss to combine. Add chicken stock and wine. Stir in cranberries and, if desired, sunflower kernels. Transfer to a greased 6-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours or until heated through, stirring once. Yield: 16 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Savory Sausage Dressing in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2016, p110
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Savory Sausage Stuffing
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review