- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place the tomato sauce, red peppers, onion, oil, garlic, vinegar, sugar, Italian seasoning, coriander, fennel seed and garlic salt in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and basil. Yield: 6 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Savory Sausage Penne Supper
"Seemed like too much pasta for the amount of sauce, but it was very good."
"Just made this last week. Have passed the recipe on to several other people looking for delicious but quick dinner ideas. We loved it. I have made again this week and have noticed, though, that different brands of italian sausage result in different in differing end flavor. And I also felt that this would be something I would be served in a nice Italian restaurant. I would definitely serve this to company, knowing it would be delicious."
"not enough sauce, but mix of sausage & onion flavors is classically delicious"
"This recipe is delicious, but my favorite thing about it is how quickly it comes together and that there is no chopping of ingredients! This recipe is in our family's regular rotation since I discovered it."