“I enjoyed a similar pasta dish at a restaurant and decided to re-create it to suit my family’s tastes. If I have extra sauce, I freeze it and use it as a base for soup later.”—Noelle Myers, Grand Forks, North Dakota
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, place the tomato sauce, red peppers, onion, oil, garlic, vinegar, sugar, Italian seasoning, coriander, fennel seed and garlic salt in a food processor; cover and process until blended. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add tomato mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Drain pasta; toss with sauce. Sprinkle with cheese and basil. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Savory Sausage Penne Supper in Taste of Home February/March 2011, p49
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Savory Sausage Penne Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review