Savory Sandwich Ring Recipe
I first made this alternative to a submarine sandwich for a party. It looks appetizing and tastes great! Now it's a mainstay on my menu plan for gatherings or when my family is tired of ordinary meat-and-cheese sandwiches.
- 2 tubes (11 ounces each) crusty French bread dough
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/3 cup Italian salad dressing
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
- 1/4 pound sliced process American or Swiss cheese, halved
- 1/4 to 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef or turkey
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 1. Place both loaves of dough seam side down on a greased 14-in. pizza pan, forming one large ring; pinch ends to seal. With a sharp knife, make eight 1/2-in.-deep slashes across the top of dough; lightly brush with oil.
- 2. Spread garlic over oil; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. To assemble, cut bread in half horizontally. Brush salad dressing over cut sides. Layer the bottom half with ham, cheese, beef, lettuce, onion, green pepper and tomato; replace top. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 271 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 1,238 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC