Savory Rubbed Roast Chicken Recipe
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the seasonings; set aside. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; pat dry. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together. Rub seasoning mixture over the outside and inside of chicken. Place onion inside cavity.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.) Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 8 servings.
5 ounce-weight equals 406 calories, 24 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 134 mg cholesterol, 425 mg sodium, 3 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 43 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.