Savory Rubbed Roast Chicken Recipe
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix the first eight ingredients.
- 2. Pat chicken dry and place on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Rub seasoning mixture over the outside and inside of chicken. Place onion inside cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- 3. Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.). Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 12 servings.
4 ounces cooked chicken equals 272 calories, 16 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 90 mg cholesterol, 284 mg sodium, 2 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.