- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix the first eight ingredients.
- Pat chicken dry and place on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Rub seasoning mixture over the outside and inside of chicken. Place onion inside cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.) Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Savory Rubbed Roast Chicken
"Excellent rub for chicken! Well received by family."
"I changed things up a bit in this recipes l. I left out the onion bit doubled the onion powder and I cooked this in my pressure cooker. It cooked perfectly in it and literally fell apart when I pulled it out of there. So tender and moist. This is a great roasting recipe. Simple and easy to follow."
"Excellent chicken with this Rub. So tasty and tender."
"Good but will definitely put seasoning under the skin too next time."
"I used the rub for roasting chicken on the rotisserie. Added a tad lemon zest to the ingredients; rubbed between skin and breast, thighs, legs and inside. Flavor was pleasing, skin crispy. Also added flavor to broth made from carcass."
"This is just wonderful!! My husband said it was the BEST chicken I've ever made!!"
"I've always loved roasting whole chickens and thought my recipe was the best...kosher salt, fresh herbs, lemon until I tried this one! My husband was beside himself! This is the best roast chicken recipe I have ever come across! I hope the subscriber who submitted it reads this! Absolutely fabulous! I will make it again and again. Also, delicious the next day."
"Everyone I've made this for has loved it!"
"love it so simple!"