- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings; set aside. Place chicken breast side up on a rack in a shallow roasting pan; pat dry. Rub seasoning mixture over the outside and inside of chicken. Place onion inside cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.) Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Savory Rubbed Roast Chicken
Sort By :
"Excellent Chicken with this Rub. So tasty and tender."
"Good but will definitely put seasoning under the skin too next time."
"I used the rub for roasting chicken on the rotisserie. Added a tad lemon zest to the ingredients; rubbed between skin and breast, thighs, legs and inside. Flavor was pleasing, skin crispy. Also added flavor to broth made from carcass."
"This is just wonderful!! My husband said it was the BEST chicken I've ever made!!"