- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 large onion, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix the first eight ingredients.
- Pat chicken dry and place on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side up. Rub seasoning mixture over the outside and inside of chicken. Place onion inside cavity. Tuck wings under chicken; tie drumsticks together.
- Roast 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh reads 170°-175°. (Cover loosely with foil if chicken browns too quickly.) Remove chicken from oven; tent with foil. Let stand 15 minutes before carving. Yield: 12 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Savory Rubbed Roast Chicken
"I changed things up a bit in this recipes l. I left out the onion bit doubled the onion powder and I cooked this in my pressure cooker. It cooked perfectly in it and literally fell apart when I pulled it out of there. So tender and moist. This is a great roasting recipe. Simple and easy to follow."
"Excellent Chicken with this Rub. So tasty and tender."
"Good but will definitely put seasoning under the skin too next time."
"I used the rub for roasting chicken on the rotisserie. Added a tad lemon zest to the ingredients; rubbed between skin and breast, thighs, legs and inside. Flavor was pleasing, skin crispy. Also added flavor to broth made from carcass."