Savory Root Vegetable Soup Recipe
Instead of the usual side dishes, consider serving a vegetable-laden soup at Thanksgiving or other holidays. Each spoonful will warm the body and soul.Zan Brock, Jasper, Alabama
- 4 bacon strips
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), chopped
- 2 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 cup cubed peeled sweet potato
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 small turnips, peeled and chopped
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon and set aside. Saute the celery, onion, green pepper and leeks in drippings until tender.
- Add the hash browns, sweet potato, parsnips, carrots and turnips; cook and stir over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the broth, parsley, herbes de Provence, garlic, white pepper and coriander; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Ladle soup into bowls. Top each serving with sour cream, cheese and crumbled bacon. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Savory Root Vegetable Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p133
Reviews for Savory Root Vegetable Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review