Savory Roasted Chicken Recipe
When you want an impressive centerpiece for Sunday dinner or a special-occasion meal, you can't go wrong with this golden chicken from our Test Kitchen. The moist, tender meat is enhanced with a hint of orange, savory and thyme.
- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Carefully loosen the skin above the breast meat. Combine the onion salt, thyme, savory, orange peel and pepper; rub half of the herb mixture under the loosened skin. Rub chicken skin with oil; sprinkle with remaining herb mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Remove skin before carving. Skim fat and thicken pan juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Savory Roasted Chicken in Light & Tasty February/March 2003, p16
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Savory Roasted Chicken(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >