- 1 roasting chicken (6 to 7 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried savory
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Place chicken on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Carefully loosen the skin above the breast meat. Combine the onion salt, thyme, savory, orange peel and pepper; rub half of the herb mixture under the loosened skin. Rub chicken skin with oil; sprinkle with remaining herb mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180°. Let stand for 10-15 minutes. Remove skin before carving. Skim fat and thicken pan juices for gravy if desired. Yield: 10 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Savory Roasted Chicken
Sort By :
"I used olive oil and it was delicious! I will definitely be making this again! It was so easy!!"
"I used olive oil in place of vegetable oil"
"Great recipe! Great flavor!! Thanks!!"
"This was very good. Everyone loved it, I did not use any gravy but it probably could have used a bit. I will make it again."