Savory Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 round-bone beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Remove and set aside.
- 2. In the drippings, saute onions and garlic until onions are tender. Return roast to Dutch oven. Stir in the tomatoes, 1/2 cup water, horseradish, browning sauce, salt if desired and pepper.
- 3. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove roast to a serving platter and keep warm. Drain, reserving 2 cups pan juices. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Slice roast and serve with gravy. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One 3-ounce serving (prepared without salt and served without gravy) equals 2 lean meat, 1 fat; also, 263 calories, 121 mg sodium, 92 mg cholesterol, 4 gm carbohydrate, 28 gm protein, 15 gm fat.