Savory Pork Turnovers Recipe
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup cold butter
- 12 to 18 tablespoons cold water
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cooked cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in the shortening and butter until crumbly. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- 2. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown pork until no longer pink; drain. Add butter and onion; saute until onion is tender. Add potatoes, apples, flour, sugar, sage, pepper and salt; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool.
- 3. Meanwhile, on a heavily floured surface, roll pastry to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 3-1/2-in. circles.
- 4. Place 1-2 tablespoons filling on each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough in half. Seal edges with fingers or a fork. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- 5. Beat egg yolks and water; brush over turnovers. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: about 4 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 376 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 310 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.
Reviews for Savory Pork Turnovers
"I have made this many times.Wonderful beyond belief!"
"I have made this many times.Always Wonderful beyond belief!"