Savory Pork Turnovers Recipe
Apples, potatoes, ground pork and seasonings tucked inside flaky golden pastry never fail to win praise from my family at home and friends at church functions. The assembly requires a bit of effort, but these impressive little turnovers are worth it. -Ruby Carves, Litchfield, Maine
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup cold butter
- 12 to 18 tablespoons cold water
- 2 pounds ground pork
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups cooked cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in the shortening and butter until crumbly. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing lightly with a fork until dough forms a ball. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, brown pork until no longer pink; drain. Add butter and onion; saute until onion is tender. Add potatoes, apples, flour, sugar, sage, pepper and salt; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool.
- Meanwhile, on a heavily floured surface, roll pastry to 1/8-in. thickness; cut into 3-1/2-in. circles.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons filling on each circle. Moisten edges with water; fold dough in half. Seal edges with fingers or a fork. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Beat egg yolks and water; brush over turnovers. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Savory Pork Turnovers in Taste of Home October/November 1998, p33
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Savory Pork Turnovers
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 16, 2012
I have made this many times.Wonderful beyond belief!
Reviewed Apr. 16, 2012
I have made this many times.Always Wonderful beyond belief!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Appetizers >
- Apple Recipes >
- Apple Tart >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Finger Food Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- German Appetizers >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- Hors d'oeuvre Recipes >
- Party Appetizers >
- Pork Appetizers >
- Pork Dinner Recipes >
- Pork Main Dishes >