Fresh pears blend with orange juice, honey and savory balsamic vinegar atop puff pastry. Garnished with cheese and crunchy glazed nuts, these are one memorable treat. —Lee Bell, Houston, Texas
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Bosc pears, halved and sliced
- 1 package (17.3 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Chopped glazed pecans, optional
- Combine the first nine ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add pears; cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until pears are tender.
- Meanwhile, unfold puff pastry. Roll each pastry into a 10-in. square. Using a 2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out 25 circles from each square. Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 7-9 minutes or until golden brown.
- Spoon pear mixture over pastries; sprinkle with cheese and, if desired, pecans. Yield: 50 appetizers.
Originally published as Savory Pear Tarts in Simple & Delicious December/January 2013, p40
Reviews for Savory Pear Tarts
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review