This delicious mixture of onions and spinach— draped in a rich Parmesan cream sauce— looks as festive as it tastes.
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen pearl onions
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 package (10 ounces) fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- Cook onions according to package directions; drain well and set aside.
- In a saucepan, saute garlic in 2 tablespoons butter for 1-2 minutes. Add spinach; cook and stir until spinach is wilted and liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and cream. Stir in the salt, pepper and reserved onions.
- Transfer to a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and remaining cheese; sprinkle over onion mixture. Dot with remaining butter. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Savory Onions and Spinach in Country Woman Christmas Annual 1998, p25
Reviews for Savory Onions and Spinach
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review