“I found this recipe on a paper market bag years ago,” writes Norma Saunders of Los Angeles, California. “I've made it more times than I can count, and my family and friends really enjoy it. It has a great tangy flavor and is so easy to make.”
Recommended: 36 Ways to Love Toast
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg, divided
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- Dash pepper
- Dash paprika
- In a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a small bowl, combine biscuit mix and poppy seeds. In another bowl, combine milk and 1 tablespoon egg. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray; fill three-fourths full with batter. Combine the sour cream, pepper and remaining egg. Spoon onion over muffin batter; spread with sour cream mixture. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 400° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 2 muffins.
Originally published as Savory Onion Muffins in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p58